Saturday, January 31, 2009

It's a Boy!

Well, we officially added a new member to our growing family! We have finally adopted our long awaited friend, Gizmo. For those of you who don't know, here is the story. My mom works with blind woman who has a seeing eye dog named Gizmo. About a year ago it was decided by Jan, my mother's friend, and the seeing eye dog people that Gizmo was ready to retire from his 5+ years of service. Jan asked me and Robin if we wanted to adopt Gizmo and give him a good home to spend his golden years in. Gizmo is the best dog and we gladly accepted! We did not have our Jack at this time and we thought we would be a one dog home. After a tradgic accident involving Jan's new dog, we found ourselves a year later still with no Gizmo. We had really given up hope that we would ever even get Gizmo, until last week. Jan called and let know the time had come and she needed to get Gizmo into his forever home.
So, that brings us to today. Robin and I picked up our newest family member this afternoon at Jan's new apartment. I have to say, it was one of the saddest things I have done in quite some time. Gizmo hasn't just been Jan's pet for the past 5 years, he has been her constant companion and best friend. Most importantly, he has been her eyes and has kept her from danger. Gizmo was Jan's roomate and friend when she went through her divorce a few years ago. Needless to say, Jan was very upset when we picked him up today. Robin and I were both crying and hugging Jan. I don't know how you can ever give up your pet, but in Jan's case she had to, she needs to get ready for her new, younger guide dog. Please pray for Jan over the next few weeks, she is really going to have a hard time adjusting to life without Gizmo.
Gizmo and Jack have spent a weekend together before but we were still nervous about their meeting. Gizmo is a lot older than Jack, he is 9 years old, Jack is barely one. Everyone who knows Jack knows that he has neverending energy. This is a little overwhelming for Gizmo, but I have to say, they LOVE each other! They have started back where they left off and I believe they are going to be best buddies! Jack is SO happy! I am posting some pics of the new brothers.
Gizmo on the left, Jack on the right

1 comment:

Stephanie and Jeff Stovall said...

Oh, yay!! I am so happy that you were able to finally add him to your family! I know Gizmo may not be at "strut your mutt", but I can't wait to see Jack (I can't believe it has been 1 year since I saw him last). Congrats! Your family is growing fast this year!